Saturday 30 December 2006

After a few short cycle rides a round the Christmas period I decided that it was time for a step up in distance with a 20 mile trip to the out skirts of Chesterfield, to a rail museum which would keep the ballast happy and interested.
We had the added problem of wind (weather not me).
0830 we set off, legs not really recovered from cycle rides previous as I face the first hill only 19 and half mile to go. Wonder how far I will get before I turn back.
After getting out of the hills of Sheffield I link up with a path which was a former rail line, good steady riding with no hilly extremes.
Good progress made along the cycle route.
About a mile away from my destination I see a sign which says footpath to rail museum, so instead of sticking with the cycle track I think what difference can there be in a footpath to a cycle track,,,big mistake as I have to lift the cycle up and down flights of stairs with the ballast on the back, through boggy fields and under a flooded 50 yard tunnel which, if I fall off, there was only water to land in, worse still the water was muddy so I had no idea what I was riding in to - broken metal , world war 2 depth charges?. However the destination was in sight and after some two hours riding we are there.
However no welcoming café to rest and prepare for the return, the place is shut till the next week, the ballast is not happy as I have been promising trains for the last 8 miles!
The return leg is fairly straight forward as I miss the flooded booby trapped tunnel, till I hit the hills of Sheffield, which I find a real struggle.
But we made it, saddle sore, legs aching and loss of feeling in my hand which took two days to return.
With the Christmas holidays ending the cycle can rest till next week and give my muscles time to revive.

No comments: